O The Water WG was created in recognition of water scarcity issues and the consequent need for rationalization of its use, as well as preservation of water bodies. In addition, the University of São Paulo has a moral responsibility to exceed current legislation and public policies.
The WG works in order to ensure water quality and adequate quantity standards, to improve the quality of effluent produced and make use of the best available technologies in order to reduce the environmental impact of the University. Moreover, the WG is looking to build a shared management structure incorporating USP water to protect the health of the University and the environment.
Some of the means to achieve these objectives are:
- general diagnosis including the following quality indicators: discharge of effluents, consumption and water losses;
- certification of performance and environmental quality;
- control of the granting of right of use of water resources;
- technical training;
- prohibition of underground water use, surface water, reuse of water and the discharge of effluents into water bodies without proper approval from the competent bodies and without additional environmental impact assessments;
- environmental training programs; and
- sub metering and the apportionment of costs of water and sewage.
The governing principles of this policy are transparency, the right to participation, rationality and efficiency of water use, the compartmentalization of consumption measurement, care at the final destination of waste and prioritization of the use of water for human consumption aimed at protection of health and the environmental balance. It should consider the need to adapt water management and wastewater to local diversities.